Israeli troops have moved into an area of northern Gaza to expand what they refer to as a “security zone” around the enclave, the military said today.
It comes days after Israel announced plans to seize large areas with an operation in the south.
Israeli forces issued evacuation warnings for Shejaia, a suburb on the edge of the enclave, on Thursday.
Civilians are now being let out of the area via organised routes, the military said in its statement.
Hundreds of residents have streamed out, with some on foot carrying their belongings while others are in vans, on donkey carts and bikes.
It comes after Israeli forces moved to seize the southern edge of Gaza, consolidating around the ruins of the city of Rafah.
Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians have fled their homes this week in one of the biggest mass exoduses of the war.
Israel has not fully explained its long-term aim for the areas it is seizing, but Gaza residents say they believe the goal is to permanently depopulate swathes of the land.
Palestinians say Israel’s overall aim is to permanently displace Gaza’s population, in line with Donald Trump’s plan to turn the region into a resort under US control.
Israeli airstrikes on Thursday killed more than 100 people, including at least 27 sheltering in a school, according to Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry.
Read more from Sky News:
Analysis: Gaza aid workers’ deaths
What happened to the ceasefire?
The Israeli military said the school building had been used as a command centre by Hamas militants. Hamas denies that it operates among civilians.
The Israeli Defence Force (IDF) resumed operations and airstrikes in Gaza on 18 March, bringing Israel’s fragile two-month truce with Hamas to an end.
Israeli ministers have said the operations will continue until the 59 hostages still in Gaza are returned.
Hamas has said it will only free the captives under a deal that brings a permanent end to the war.